Thursday 31 October 2019

#Inktober 2019

Day 1: Ring

I had fully intended for Inktober to continue with Ms Blackbird's Home For Peculiar People, and develop characters and scenarios for that.
So for ring, I developed the character of Indrid Eldritch, whose peculiarity is that she sees things that aren't real. She can make these things visible by using an Eldridge Coil, which she wears as a ring.
Here she is showing Mr. Lewis how it works.
However, I've had so many various other ideas, that I lost track a bit!


Day 2: Mindless
Whenever a cyclist is injured in a RTC, instead of saying that motor traffic should be reduced, and roads made safer for all cyclists, like in the Netherlands, with Stop Kindermoort, some hat fascist is allowed to speak instead.

This is mindless victim blaming nonsense.

So I decided to take this a step further and invent a hat to prevent serious mental health issues.
Tin Foil TM


Day 3: Bait

Bait is an actual 2019 film about Cornish fisherman. I haven't seen it, so I decided to imagine if those Cornish fisherman were illegal Kraken fishing.

Day 4: Freeze
Centuries after the 2019 Beresheet Mission, human tardigrades became trapped on Triton whilst meeting the Zartran Ambassador. I don't like alcohol based inks, because they bleed through the page, so I decided to limit their use for this.


Day 5: Build
Editorial Illustration on the news that Lego are changing to using hemp plastic.

Day 6: Husky

Straight up illustration of my cousin's dog Luca. Use of pen shading.

Day 7: Enchanted
As a girl, I used to imagine that sunlight shining through yew hedges were little spirit beings known as Gokoyu. Sort of similar to susuwatari. An edited digital print. 


Day 8: Frail
Day 9: Swing




















Strong black and white contrast for a book illustration, then a straight up illustration for "swing", using ink like watercolour to create tone.
Day 10: Pattern
For #WorldMentalHealthDay, I went for a Rorschach blot inkblot pattern.
Day 11: Snow
Day 12: Dragon

Kate Bush's 50 Words For Snow Number 12 is "Hunter's Dream, so it's Studio Ghibli Princess Mononoke anime style.
For Dragon, the Lincolnshire Yellowbelly is a water dragon, its golden belly comes from sitting on Bad King John's lost treasure!
Busted out the golden Posca for this!

Day 13: Ash
Day 13: Ash


 I did two for Ash: I really liked messing about with texture for the album cover for Islands, and the single Silver Suit, but I also really wanted to make up an Ash mixtape :-)


Day 14: Overgrown
Following the Ash theme, for Overgrown, one of their most haunting melodies is Pripyat.

So I illustrated nature reclaiming the abandoned amusement park of Chernobyl.

Below for Legend, it's the urban legend of Mothman.
Strategic use of red Posca colour for the glowing eyes.
Followed on the Rorschach theme, which appears for the movie The Mothman Prophecies, but wanted to err towards a new Studio Ghibli version.
    Day 15: Legend
Day 16: Wild


Wild Women is the imaginary debut album by Blackbird, and the first single release "In My Dreams" - out now on vinyl and cassette!!
An imagined album.


Day 17: Ornament
For Ornament, I could not get the idea of the Ornamental Urn given to the Blue Peter Garden by Mr Taylor of Barnet out of my head, so I decided to illustrate the spookier Moondial from Belton House, from the 1980's TV Series and book by Helen Cresswell instead!
Day 19: Sling
Day 18: Misfit













Misfit are a 1980's all woman synth band.
Drummer Sally, Toni on guitars, Karen on keytar, and lead singer Nikk K - their number one single Sling is out now!!
Day 20: Tread
"Where Angels Fear" is an imaginary book / film starring Nicolas Cage as Seth, teaming up with John Constantine to stop the devil in his tracks!

Day 21: Treasure
An imaginary Goonies style 80's film in which my brother and I search for King John's lost treasure in The Wash. The Lincolnshire Yellowbelly is of course guarding it under the sea.

Day 22: Ghost
This Studio Ghibli style illustration was inspired by a faded narrative written along a wall in John Dawber Gardens, near the old asylum in Lincoln.
It's a story about a patient, and starts with the patient taking part in The Parade Of Lost Souls. I went for a Spirited Away style illo.

Day 23: Ancient
Could not resist illustrating Mother Aughra from The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance.


Day 24: Dizzy
Another single from 80's synth band Misfit!


Day 25 Tasty



Day 26 Dark

Day 27 Coat

The Matrix 4 is being filmed, so here's the Breathtaking Keanu Reeves.

Day 28 Ride
My E.T. themed Valentines Card is one of my most popular selling.

Day 29 Injured
Day 30 Catch

Day 31 Ripe
I'm quite impressed that this year is one of my toughest years, yet, I have managed to keep doing #inktober.
But the purpose is to gain more commissions, and I'm yet to receive any!
I'm afraid I can't produce illustrations on fresh air!

I'm now tidying up the studio whilst listening to the all new Spooky Mixtape:

       
I have worked out that the total value of the work produced for #inktober, and it comes to £4960. It would be really nice to find that amount in my bank balance to pay the rent!

No comments: